Permits & Applications

Important Notices

Building Permits

Building Permits are processed by the Community Development Department. Applications can be submitted in the online portal, unless otherwise noted in the following chart. The City of Waukee has adopted the 2018 International Building Code and the 2020 National Electrical Code. Residential and commercial permit fees are calculated, and builders are notified of permit costs upon issuance. Permit fee calculator spreadsheets are available to aid in estimating permit fees. For more information, view Waukee Municipal Codes & Ordinances related to Building Code Regulations and Zoning.

Permit Required ApplicationReference Documents
Single Family Home
New Home
Submit hereResidential Permit Fee Calculator (PDF)
Building Valuation Data Chart (PDF)
Single Family Home
Submit here Residential Permit Fee Calculator
Building Valuation Data Chart (PDF)
Commercial BuildingSubmit hereCommercial and Industrial Permit Fee Calculator (PDF)

Apartment, Hotel, Condo Permit Fee Calculator

Building Valuation Data Chart (PDF)
Accessory BuildingSubmit hereAccessory Building (PDF)
FenceSubmit hereFence (PDF)
DeckSubmit hereDeck (PDF)
Home OccupationOnline Submittal or
Printable Form (PDF)

PoolSubmit hereInformational Flyer
SignsSubmit herePermanent Signs (PDF)
Temporary UseSubmit here
Facade ImprovementFacade Improvement Application (PDF)

SolarSubmit here
Mobile Food UnitSubmit hereRaccoon River Valley Trail Trailhead Parking Locations
Trades Permit ApplicationSubmit here

Sidewalk and Utility Applications

Sidewalk and Utility Permits are handled by the Waukee Public Works department. Submit your application at the Waukee Public Works building.

ApplicationRequired ApplicationReference Documents
Construction Site Erosion and Sediment Control Ordinance
COSESCO Application and Checklist (PDF)
Gas Rebate ProgramGas Rebate Program
Natural Gas Main ExtensionNatural Gas Main Extension Agreement (PDF)
Utility PermitUtility PermitSmall Wireless Facility Policy
Small Wireless Facility Design Guidelines
Sidewalk/ApproachSidewalk/Approach Permit Installation Design Standards
Replacement Criteria
Oversize - Overweight PermitOversize-Overweight Permit
Annual (PDF)
One-Trip (PDF)

Citywide Permit Applications

Citywide permit applications are handled by the City Clerk. Permit applications may be submitted online. Deposits and fees may be paid by cash or check made payable to City of Waukee at Waukee City Hall.

ApplicationRequired Application
Block Party Permit ApplicationBlock Party Permit Application
Fireworks Display ApplicationFireworks Display Application
Peddlers Permit ApplicationPeddlers Permit Information and Application
Special Event ApplicationSpecial Event Application

Animal Permits/Licenses

The City of Waukee has two types of animal-related permits/licenses.

Permit/License TypeRequired Application and Information
Dog and Cat Pet LicenseAnnual License
Urban Chickens (Hens) PermitAnnual Permit