Create a Website Account - Manage notification subscriptions, save form progress and more.
With warm weather and many events going on in the City of Waukee, the Police Department is encouraging drivers to secure valuables and to lock vehicles when not in use. In general, the majority of vehicle break-ins occur outside private homes in driveways or on the street in front of the victim’s home.
Tips for Protecting Valuables:
• Park in a garage, if available.
• When parking in a garage, lock the garage door AND your vehicle.
• Remove all items of value from the car when you are not driving.
• Don’t leave anything in your glove compartment or center console – it is the first place thieves look.
• Completely close all car windows.
• Park in a well-lit area close to your destination.
• Get involved! Be your neighbor’s eyes and ears. Talk to neighbors regarding activity in the neighborhood.
• Call 911 when a crime is in progress.
By taking simple precautions and just a few moments to remove valuable items from your car you can significantly improve your chances of not becoming a victim of this type of crime even when your car is left unattended in your driveway, outside your house or place of work.
IF THEY CAN SEE IT, THEY CAN STEAL IT!